Monday, April 25, 2011

Relatable books

Hello there...

i'm not blogging this past weekend because i'm away, went to JPCC workers gathering in Puncak and I have such a great time over there. That's like a mini retreat from family life and into church family life.

Today I want to blog about another book. What I found out lately about books is that you tend to like books that relates to you in your season of life. I found this to be true. For example, when I was single I like to read romance books because I can relate to being single girls who's looking for the right guy. Ie. shopaholic series, and when i was younger: Princes Diaries series. I love reading those books, giving me entertainment, and I find that I can relate to what the heroine's feeling, you know? Wondering whether someone out there perfect just for her. And the happy ending, wishing that we can also have our own happy ending, you know?

Now I'm married, with kids. Not saying that I don't like those romance comedy novels, I still love them. It's fun and light to read. But when i was single I don't like reading about motherhood novels because I couldn't relate to it. Now I can relate to it.

Ergo, this book that I just read: Things Your Mother Never Told You, by Olivia Lichtenstein.
Again, drawn to it because of the gorgeous cover, the color and the flower. I love it. Well, i love everything flowery anyway, so go figure.
But this one is surprisingly good book, according to me. It's a story about a daughter who vows to herself that she doesn't want to be a mother just like her mom. So she tries to be a better mom to her sons. When her mom died, she's trying to deal with her grief and found out about things her mom never told her, who her mom was before she had her. To top it off, she also has to deal with divorce and empty nest syndrome (because her sons are all grown up and going to college)
She found out the secret. And that makes her realize why her mom was the way she was. It's all about acceptance, knowing who you are, and what you want to be even if you're a mom.



So, i give this book two thumbs up. Singles might not like it. Moms I think will like it.

You can buy this book (used) at: http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=6676746

or, you can buy them at amazon.com or at periplus in plaza senayan or plaza indonesia. They still sell it.


That's all for today, hope you have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment